Petzl Quark Pair Deal With Pick Protectors
The Petzl Quark Pair Deal is a combination set of Petzl Quark Adze and Petzl Quark Hammer ice climbing axes.
The new 2018 Petzl Quark Pair is an ice axe set with one Quark axe supplied with the modular hammer attachment and one Quark axe supplied with the Adze attachment.
The Adze is primarily for cutting away loose snow and ice, cutting steps or as an entrenching tool where as the hammer is used for driving home pitons and expanding bolts on mixed routes.
The EMS Exclusive Quark Pair Deal also comes with Pick Protectors. These protect your climbing pack, ropes and other gear from your sharp Petzl picks, but they also make your axes safe so you’ll be allowed to take them on cable cars.
The Petzl Quark is a versatile ice axe, designed primarily for technical mountaineering and for ice climbing. It is a very capable tool and widely considered as a ‘go anywhere, do anything’ ice axe.
The head's modular construction allows it to be adapted to any situation and worn components can be replaced as and when required. The Quark is balanced and precise which makes it easy to handle an instantly intuitive in its use.
Petzl Picks are regarded as being the best available. Not only has their geometry been carefully calculated based on years of practical mountain experience but they are also drop forged from single pieces of Petzl’s own secret recipe ‘Charlet’ Steel and are ‘T’ Rated (for Technical use). They are tapered to a point, straight, sharp and tough all in combination, so they penetrate any ice well, keep their edge even when used on rock and mixed routes but won’t chip and splinter if you strike a rock by mistake.
The rubberised grip with grip rest and adjustable trigger rest give excellent ‘feel’ and control so you deliver your strikes precisely and efficiently. This makes using the Quark feel positive and reassuringly competent, which adds fluidity to the climb and on long routes reduces fatigue.
The Quark is approximately 48cm in length, so it is too short to be used as a piolet for glassier crossing, but for mountain routes and steeper approaches the Quark is perfect for stabilising, and plunging. The curved shaft and pick geometry give plenty of clearance for hooking, but isn’t so severe that swing of the Quark is adversely effected.
Editor: Adam (I have the Quark Adze/Hammer combination - recommended).
EMS Exclusive Offer: NEW 2018 Quark Pair Deal supplied with Black Diamond Pick Protectors - Plus Free 24 hr Courier Shipping (mainland UK*).
*Shipping may take longer to remote locations & some Highland postcodes.
Weight (each): 550 grams. (460g when Stripped to minimum)
Sold with :
- type T ICE pick (U19 ICE),
Did You Know?
EMS is one of the largest retailers for Petzl winter mountaineering equipment and official UK retailer for the brand.
All our Crampons and Ice Axes are shipped free of charge to mainland UK addresses and dispatched the same day if ordered before 2.00pm Monday to Friday.
We also have knowledgeable and friendly staff that can answer your questions about Petzl winter mountaineering equipment over the phone or via email. Just go to 'Customer Service FAQ' at the top of any page for our contact details.
Here is Petzl’s overview of the Quark:
Ice axe for technical mountaineering and ice climbing.
Versatile ice axe for technical mountaineering and ice climbing
QUARK is a versatile ice axe designed for technical mountaineering and for ice climbing. Its balance and its ICE pick allow solid placements on any type of ice. The TRIGREST and GRIPREST handrests make it easy to handle and comfortable in any situation. They provide more efficient handle grip for difficult sections. Entirely modular, the QUARK ice axe adapts easily to technical, varied terrain: snow couloirs, gullies, north faces, icefalls...
- Versatile ice axe:
- shaft curved below the head and GRIPREST QUARK handrest at the bottom of the shaft to protect the hands on ice climbs
- shaft has a steel spike and is straight enough for use in piolet-canne mode
- shaft is hydroformed for optimal grip in the middle of the shaft, for snow couloirs
- over-molded, bi-material handle provides good grip while insulating from the cold
- TRIGREST QUARK and GRIPREST QUARK handrests strengthen the grip on difficult sections
- 550 g with PANNE or MARTEAU
- Efficient placement on any type of ice
- ICE pick is tapered at the tip (3.3 mm) and versatile across all terrain: snow, ice and mixed
- compatible with MASSELOTTE weights to modify the balance and improve the inertia of the ice axe
- Modular construction:
- entirely modular head allows the technical aspects of the ice axe to be adjusted
- compatible with Petzl accessories: PUR'ICE, MINI MARTEAU, MASSELOTTES...
- TRIGREST QUARK handrest is height adjustable without tools
- GRIPREST QUARK handrest folds in easily for planting the ice axe in snow
- connection hole is compatible with V-LINK elasticated loss-prevention webbing
- only 465 g, not including accessories
• Pick type: 2
• Shaft type: 2 Ice axe sold with ICE pick, MARTEAU, TRIGREST and GRIPREST
• Certification(s): CE, UIAA
Please note this listing is for the NEW 2018 Quark not the pre-2018 Quark shown in the Video.