Petzl Quark Pair Deal With Pick Protectors
The Petzl Quark Pair Deal is a combination set of Petzl Quark Adze and Petzl Quark Hammer ice climbing axes.
The Petzl Quark Pair is an ice axe set with one Quark axe supplied with the modular hammer attachment and one Quark axe supplied with the Adze attachment.
The Adze is primarily for cutting away loose snow and ice, cutting steps or as an entrenching tool where as the hammer is used for driving home pitons and expanding bolts on mixed routes.
The EMS Exclusive Quark Pair Deal also comes with Pick Protectors. These protect your climbing pack, ropes and other gear from your sharp Petzl picks, but they also make your axes safe so you’ll be allowed to take them on cable cars.
The Petzl Quark is a versatile ice axe, designed primarily for technical mountaineering and for ice climbing. It is a very capable tool and widely considered as a ‘go anywhere, do anything’ ice axe.
The head's modular construction allows it to be adapted to any situation and worn components can be replaced as and when required. The Quark is balanced and precise which makes it easy to handle an instantly intuitive in its use.
Petzl Picks are regarded as being the best available. Not only has their geometry been carefully calculated based on years of practical mountain experience but they are also drop forged from single pieces of Petzl’s own secret recipe ‘Charlet’ Steel and are ‘T’ Rated (for Technical use). They are tapered to a point, straight, sharp and tough all in combination, so they penetrate any ice well, keep their edge even when used on rock and mixed routes but won’t chip and splinter if you strike a rock by mistake.
The rubberised grip with grip rest and adjustable trigger rest give excellent ‘feel’ and control so you deliver your strikes precisely and efficiently. This makes using the Quark feel positive and reassuringly competent, which adds fluidity to the climb and on long routes reduces fatigue.
The Quark is approximately 48cm in length, so it is too short to be used as a piolet for glassier crossing, but for mountain routes and steeper approaches the Quark is perfect for stabilising, and plunging. The curved shaft and pick geometry give plenty of clearance for hooking, but isn’t so severe that swing of the Quark is adversely effected.
Editor: Adam (I have the Quark Adze/Hammer combination - recommended).
EMS Exclusive Offer: Pair Deal supplied with Black Diamond Pick Protectors - Plus Free 24 hr Courier Shipping (mainland UK).
Also: See our other exclusive Ice Axe Pair Deals including Quark Set with Spinner Leash.
Weight (each): 550 grams. (460g when Stripped to minimum)
Sold with :
- type T ICE pick (U19 ICE),
Did You Know?
EMS is one of the largest retailers for Petzl winter mountaineering equipment and official UK retailer for the brand.
All our Crampons and Ice Axes are shipped free of charge to mainland UK addresses and dispatched the same day if ordered before 2.00pm Monday to Friday.
We also have knowledgeable and friendly staff that can answer your questions about Petzl winter mountaineering equipment over the phone or via email. Just go to 'Customer Service FAQ' at the top of any page for our contact details.
Here is Petzl’s overview of the Quark:
Ice axe for technical mountaineering and ice climbing.
Quark is a versatile ice axe, designed primarily for technical mountaineering and for ice climbing. Because of the head's modular construction, it adapts to any situation. The QUARK ice axe is easy to use: its balance and its ICE pick allow solid placements on any type of ice. Hooking is more efficient, thanks to the clearance under the head and to the shape of the pick. The GRIPREST and the TRIGREST hand rests ensure a comfortable, powerful grip adapted to leashless climbing.
• Structure is entirely modular for adapting the ice axe to the activity and context:
- equipped with the MARTEAU, the TRIGREST hand rest and the GRIPREST, the QUARK is a versatile tool adapted to technical mountaineering and ice climbing (an adze may also be added, if necessary)
- equipped with MASSELOTTES pick weights (optional), and without the MARTEAU, the QUARK has an exceptional swing adapted to the coldest ice. It is ideal for ice climbing.
- without any accessories, the QUARK weighs only 460 g, making it an ultra-high performance ice axe for snow couloirs, for example
• Interchangeable ICE pick is tapered at the tip (3 mm) for easy penetration, even in cold ice. Its shape allows stable hooking on both ice and rock.
• Ergonomic over-molded handle provides a good grip, even for small hands, and insulation from the cold. The lower part of the shaft penetrates snow perfectly when the ice axe is used in piolet-canne (without the GRIPREST).
• Carabiner hole under the GRIPREST
• The TRIGREST hand rest braces the hand and the index finger (easily adjustable without tools). The upper part, equipped with the grip, allows the user to comfortably switch hands. The lower trigger is used to brace the index finger to improve the stability of the ice axe and increase striking precision. It also serves as the locking lever of the TRIGREST.
• Pick type: 2
• Shaft type: 2 Ice axe sold with ICE pick, MARTEAU, TRIGREST and GRIPREST
• Certification(s): CE, UIAA