Petzl have introduced the Next evolouion in their Technical performance ice axe for classic mountaineering range. The Summit EVO is a completely new design based on the original Petzl Summit ice axe.
Designed for classic mountaineering, the Summit EVO ice axe is the tool of choice for all types of alpine trips. Lightweight and with a waterjet-formed tube, it offers a very comfortable grip under the head of the axe. The technical design of the curved shaft provides the necessary clearance on steep, icy terrain. The forged and well-balanced head provides very good anchoring qualities. The grip of the shaft makes it a precise and efficient ice axe.
• Lightweight ice axe, but with enough weight in the head for good anchoring power
• Hydroformed handle for good grip at the curve, and a technical design:
- the upper part of the shaft is curved to offer good clearance when climbing
- the lower part is straighter and guarantees efficient penetration in snow
• Head and pick in hot-forged steel, ensuring solid anchoring:
- thin (3 mm) pick, durable and toothed at the tip, ensuring good anchoring quality in hard snow and ice
- pick is thicker in the middle to favor anchoring in soft snow
- teeth on upper part of pick strengthen the hold on the ice axe in piolet-rampe mode
- durable spike in stainless steel for very good penetration in hard snow and in piolet-canne mode
• High strength and practical aspects:
- very durable steel adze offers a comfortable support surface, and the design of the edges allows stairs to be carved efficiently
- tilted adze directs the axe correctly into the snow (piolet-canne usage)
- head and spike equipped with holes for clipping a carabiner or attaching a sling
- high-quality aluminum shaft (7075 aluminum, used in aeronautics), with anodized finish for excellent protection
• Ice axe compatible with LINKIN leash
• Pick type: 1
• Shaft type: 1
• Certification(s): CE, UIAA
• Material(s): heat-treated steel, aluminum 7075, stainless heat-treated steel, TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane)
References U14B 052 U14B 059 U14B 066
Lengths available 52 cm 59 cm 66 cm
Weight 400 g 420 g 450 g
Guarantee 3 years
The Summit Evo is light weight for its type at 429 grams for the 59cm, as weighed on the EMS office scales.
The head is made from Petzl's tried and tested secret recipe steel alloy, so you know its going to be reliable and hardwearing.
What you don't get from the photo is the feel of the EVO. Despite the grip handle the shaft doesn't feel too heavy and overall its balanced with a bit of swing in the head. The geometry feels right and the axe feels like you've owned it for a long time, after only two minutes.
I'm a big fan of axes with grips. Not only does the grip offer more control and accuracy, but trying to grip a smooth metal shaft with leather palmed gloves is hard work to the point where you get forearm burn. There's always grip tape, but the Evo grip is a semi-soft tactile rubber with aggressive serrations, so its about as good as any straight handle is going to get.
New pick and spike protectectors and a new leash are also available to complete the set.
Did You Know?
EMS is one of the largest retailers for Petzl winter mountaineering equipment and official UK retailer for the brand.
All our Crampons and Ice Axes are shipped free of charge to mainland UK addresses and dispatched the same day if ordered before 2.00pm Monday to Friday.
We also have knowledgeable and friendly staff that can answer your questions about Petzl winter mountaineering equipment over the phone or via email. Just go to 'Customer Service FAQ' at the top of any page for our contact details.